Saturday, June 16, 2007

The changing toothpaste lifestyles

So many people I know are either having problems or have already broken up with their partners. And these are not flings I'm talking about; these are relationships. What is it that makes people so inflexible today? Sometimes I think its the consumeristic attitude we have acquired over years and years of moulding by the retail and the advertising industry. We like to have multiple options from which to choose a product. If a product stops catering to our growing needs, we choose to discontinue using that product.

Over the generations, people have become more and more conscious about the options around them. Colgate, Pepsodent, Anchor, Babool. Like toothpaste, I think relationships also have one universal truth - no matter how many you change, eventually you realise that they're all the same. One just tastes more minty while the other one has more salt. So apart from the small (but most noticeable) differences in the toothpaste, they're having the same effect on your teeth.

This does not mean that relationships are all the same. Some are fun while some can be really boring (minty versus gum care). But after years of being together (toothpaste or relationship), it eventually becomes a routine. And that's where people start looking for change - not realizing that the same cycle will repeat itself after another few years.

And so people keep changing their toothpastes, unlike in the old days when my grandfather used Binaca all his life (until his daughters made him switch to Colgate). Is this trend alarming or simply natural? Both I guess, in its own ways. We like to choose in order to get the best (which is completely fair), but when will you know that the best has arrived? And what happens if there is no best fit for your criteria? In relationships, is it fair then to hurt the person you have once loved so much? What happens if you don't like Pepsodent anymore and leave the unfinished tube, only to realise after Colgate Salt that you liked Pep better? And what happens then if someone else has already started using your Pep tube.

Its a risk everybody today is willing to take. "If I don't find anybody, I'll have an arranged marriage". Heard it before. After all the consumeristic attitudes we throw, our parents finally get us married - probably to prove a good point. They're from the days when people were happy with the toothpaste they owned.


Give me something to laugh at again
Show me how i can find
A place in your heart without all the qualms
And maybe a place in your life

1 comment:

  1. Alpana, This is Sony Joseph. After a Year I got a time to view my www.sonyjosephk.blogspot.com and there I happend to c ur comments and my interaction on the blogs..... Well, I really appreciate the way u have penned-down on Toothpaste Type relationships.... we both have one-thing in Common and i.e. we value RELATIONSHIP and we both r trying to communicate our feelings on this. Hope to c ur comment on my comments. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails