Monday, January 15, 2007

Guru's sub-titles are lame

I just saw Guru yesterday and I'm not here to give a review for the movie, but for the sub-titles. I watched the movie in a cinema hall in Montreal called AMC, where I have also seen the new Don and Lage Raho Munnabhai. It was a very sad state of affairs when it came to the sub-titles. Half the dialogues in the movie don't have sub-titles at all! And the ones that did, some of the words were written in hindi itself, except in italics! On the top of my head, i can remember the following words - jalkukdi, mirchirani, and there were more. There were quite a few Canadians in the cinema hall and I kept thinking what a waste of money it must have been for them. The songs haven't been sub-titled at all. Its very shoddy work by whoever has done it.

Don and Munnabhai had wonderful sub-titles. In fact, Munnabhai had such good ones that you would find it funny even if you had no clue about bambaiyya hindi (which is almost a dialect of hindi spoken in Bombay). Most words that rhymed in the movie in Hindi, were also made to rhyme in English. It must have been very tough to do, but they pulled it off great!

I have no clue who makes sub-titles for movies, but the team that did it for Guru was really bad. Looks like they had a 2 hr deadline and they did what they could in that much time. I tried going to the film's website - www.guru-thefilm.com - to give some feedback, but I don't think they want any because there is no link for feedback, suggestions, comments or even a chatroom. So I can just blog about it here.

If anyone knows who does sub-titling for the movies, please let me know coz now I'm just curious!

BTW, the movie was good, but the last monologue didn't touch me or convince me. Should have been deeper than that. But everybody's acted brilliantly. Mani Rathnam gets the best out of everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails